[Scummvm-devel] New Team Member

Klaus Reimer k at ailis.de
Wed Apr 27 23:28:52 CEST 2011

Hello,

today I was accepted into the team and I guess now is a good moment to
introduce myself.

My name is Klaus Reimer, I'm 35 years old, I'm from Germany (so forgive
me if my english is not always correct), I live in Bonn and also work
there in a medium-sized company as a software developer specialized in
writing web applications in Java, PHP and JavaScript. In the past I
worked as a system administrator and I still maintain some internal
development servers at work. My favorite operating system is Debian
Linux, I'm a Debian Developer so I guess I'm a little bit biased in this
matter ;-)

In my spare time I like playing games (old and new) and writing Open
Source software. Two of my game-related projects worth mentioning are
Xadrian, a tool for planning Factory complexes for the space-sim X3
Terran Conflict, and the Wasteland Suite, a suite of tools for reading
and writing the game files of the classic role-playing game Wasteland.

I'm quite a science fiction fan, I *LOVE* Doctor Who (Curse you, Pro 7,
for stopping broadcasting this great show on german television!), I like
Star Wars (At least the old stuff) but I also like fantasy (Read Lord of
the Rings at least three times and play Guild Wars from time to time).

Well, back to topic. I created the WebOS port for ScummVM which I'm
going to maintain from now on. Maybe a few words about WebOS for those
who do not know it: WebOS is the successor of PalmOS. It is a
linux-based operating system used on newer Palm smart-phones (The Pre
and the Pixi, more phones and tablets are coming). WebOS is a pretty
small player in the mobile market, younger than Android. WebOS was
rising at the time when Palm itself was unfortunately going down. It's
hard to tell if HP (who aquired Palm) can push WebOS enough to become
significant but I hope it will stay because I really like the platform
for it's openness. It is not Open Source like Android but still feels
more open because it is based on many well-known open source software,
has official root access and has a great Homebrew community which is
even sponsored by Palm/HP.

I'm really looking forward working with all of you on this great
project. Playing the good old adventures on nearly every existing
platform is always fun. ScummVM is one of two "must-haves" on every
Linux box I'm using (The other one is dosbox so I can play Wasteland).

--
Bye, K <http://www.ailis.de/~k/>
[A735 47EC D87B 1F15 C1E9 53D3 AA03 6173 A723 E391]