[Scummvm-devel] Windows Installer

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Thu Apr 28 14:45:45 CEST 2011

Hello everybody,

recently, Littleboy submitted a pull request which adds an NSIS based Windows installer, as an alternative to the currently InnoSetup based installers made by Kirben. Shortly thereafter, Kirben committed the config files he uses for InnoSetup. Thanks for that, Kirben, I appreciate it (also it is a bit late in the game :).

Anyway, this lead to a (sadly, sometimes a bit too heated) discussion between Kirben, me, and some other people. Anyway, in there I claim that I am aware of various people who seem to be aligned with my point of view on the Windows installer, buildbot, and also the textconsole visibility on Windows (a thread, and a discussion, that I have not forgotten, and that I plan to pursue further once 1.3.x is out).
And I also claim that I am not aware of people aligned with Kirben's point of view (or parts of it).

However, this is just my *awareness*. It might be skewed, it might be too selective and I overlooked / subconsciously ignored messages that said otherwise. And maybe there are people who tend towards Kirben's position(s). Maybe these people are just shy, or do not care that much. With this email, I would like to ask them to speak up anyway, here or in a comment on that pull request!

In case you are afraid that I might act like a despot and treat you badly for it: First off, please be assured I won't do that, I hope that I have shown times enough in the past that I can have (even heated) technical arguments with a person in one thing, and still work closely together with them on other things. Heck, I even sometimes am nice to DrMcCoy ;).
Secondly, if you *really* still think that badly about me that you wouldn't dare to speak up; or if you just feel that I am sometimes (or even too often) despotic, please also let me know (anonymously or via a proxy, if you are *really* scared of me).

I will duly consider either kind of message, public or private.

Oh, and of course everybody else is also highly welcome to let us know their opinion(s) on the whole NSIS installer thing. As with every other matter in this project.