[Scummvm-devel] png support

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Apr 29 12:49:22 CEST 2011

Just did a configure run with a cross compiler for which I had no libpng, and got this:

Checking for PNG >= 1.2.8... no
...disabling Broken Sword 2.5 engine. PNG is required

Now I am confused: I thought folks added a custom png decoder to graphics/ so that we don't need libpng anymore. So, do we really still need to disable BS2.5 just because libpng is present? And if libpng is present, do we disable graphics/png.* ?

It would be nice if somebody could clarify this. My take is this:
If graphics/png.* cannot substitute libpng good enough to be used as a replacement in BS2.5, I don't see why we have it at all (unless somebody is actively working on fixing it).

If it can act as a substitute for libpng, then
1) we should not disable BS2.5 in configure just because libpng is missing,
2) maybe we should compiler *either* with libpng, *or* with our custom png decoder. Having both present simultaneously seems like wasting binary size for nothing.

But maybe I am missing something here. So once  more, I'd appreciate if somebody (the people who added the png decoder in the first place, maybe?) could take a look at this and clarify this / fix it as appropriate :).

Thanks & Cheers,