[Scummvm-devel] Sword25 save system

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 17:18:43 CEST 2011

The original plan I had in mind was to get rid of pluto as well. Perhaps we
could use a saving
scheme similar to what has been done in TsAGE? Initially, I was thinking of
using reflection to persist
the LUA structures, but LUA is in C, so that won't work :(

The hard bit with this approach would be to actually understand a large
portion of the game scripts
and create a scheme that would persist the script data correctly. The
changes that have been made
to the engine up to now haven't touched any of the scripts or script
interpreter (i.e. LUA) much, apart
from the faux settings code. Thus, getting rid of Pluto would require a bit
more fiddling around the way
LUA scripts work, but it is the right thing to do, IMHO.

We would also need to support the official game updates, as some scripts
have been changed, thus
we need to make the resulting saved games version specific. We could find
some clever way of
coping with older saved games in patched games, e.g. set new variables to
default values.

All these require playtesting, and I'm not sure if the game is completable
yet - I have reached a dead
end, and haven't progressed since then. The game is stuck for me after the
fire in the warehouse, as
I can't use Nico's computer (unless I'm missing something here).

Regards
Filippos

--
"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde