[Scummvm-devel] KYRA - Eye of the Beholder extension

Tarek Soliman tarek-spam at zeusmail.bounceme.net
Thu Dec 1 23:55:30 CET 2011

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 08:53:20PM +0100, Johannes Schickel wrote:
> When we
> get a bug report on something not in the mainline, we politely point out
> that we do not support this and that the bug reporter should talk to the
> developer of the code.

I want to point out that it is harder to detect this when the bug is related
to an in-tree (and supported) engine. I mean bugs that are caused by
out-of-tree nonsense that crept in with the unoffical build.

For example, Alice has a fork that she uses and it has some out-of-tree
features that don't belong in-tree. Those features interfered with some SCI
code and caused SCI to misbehave. Alice hopefully knows better than to log
a bug without trying it in the mainline tree first. Now imagine if Alice had
distributed her build because it has some out-of-tree (sub)engine or feature.
Some poor SCI dev would get an invalid bug from the same kind of users who
report bugs on out-of-tree engines and non-existant releases.
--
Tarek