[Scummvm-devel] Sierra games naming

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 08:36:00 CET 2011

The double "SCI remake" is wrong in KQ4, and it will be fixed. However, some
SCI games are unique cases...

- King's Quest 4: There is both an AGI and a SCI version, which are, in
fact, completely different games, each one using a different engine and
rewritten from scratch
- Leisure Suit Larry 1, Police Quest 1, Space Quest 1: All three of them
were initially released using the AGI engine (which was EGA). Then, they
were released as SCI versions, both for VGA and for EGA. The SCI EGA
versions used dithered 16 color graphics from the VGA versions. The "AGI
EGA" version and the "SCI EGA" versions are again completely different
games, so the "SCI remake" description is again necessary in these cases,
cause there are 3 variants of each game
- Quest for Glory 1, Mixed up Mother Goose: Same case for both: the first
version to be released was using the first version of SCI, i.e. the EGA SCI0
version. Both were subsequently re-released, using updated graphics and a
newer version of SCI: QFG1 was released as a VGA remake using SCI1.1, and
MUMG was rereleased three times with updated graphics, one version using
SCI1, another SCI11 and the latest one SCI21 - madness!

So, to sum up, we have the following unique cases:
- KQ4 AGI and SCI (both EGA)
- LSL1 AGI, SCI EGA, SCI VGA
- PQ1 AGI, SCI EGA, SCI VGA
- SQ1 AGI, SCI EGA, SCI VGA
- QFG1 SCI EGA, SCI VGA (both versions being completely different)
- MUMG SCI EGA (SCI0), SCI VGA (SCI1), SCI VGA CD (SCI11), SCI SVGA CD
(SCI21)

All of the SCI1 games were also released for Amiga and Mac, which further
complicates the game descriptions.

I'm all for making a more straightforward naming scheme, but I don't see any
better way, given the huge amount of different versions for each game. As an
example, I can think of 5 different versions of SQ1 off the top of my head
(AGI EGA, SCI EGA, SCI VGA, Mac, Amiga 32 colors).

Regards
Filippos