[Scummvm-devel] Sierra games naming

Hubert Maier raziel_nosgoth at web.de
Tue Jan 4 08:45:01 CET 2011

Hi ScummVM,

> The double "SCI remake" is wrong in KQ4, and it will be fixed. However, some
> SCI games are unique cases...

...and also in KQ1 (please)

> - King's Quest 4: There is both an AGI and a SCI version, which are, in
> fact, completely different games, each one using a different engine and
> rewritten from scratch
> - Leisure Suit Larry 1, Police Quest 1, Space Quest 1: All three of them
> were initially released using the AGI engine (which was EGA). Then, they
> were released as SCI versions, both for VGA and for EGA. The SCI EGA
> versions used dithered 16 color graphics from the VGA versions. The "AGI
> EGA" version and the "SCI EGA" versions are again completely different
> games, so the "SCI remake" description is again necessary in these cases,
> cause there are 3 variants of each game
> - Quest for Glory 1, Mixed up Mother Goose: Same case for both: the first
> version to be released was using the first version of SCI, i.e. the EGA SCI0
> version. Both were subsequently re-released, using updated graphics and a
> newer version of SCI: QFG1 was released as a VGA remake using SCI1.1, and
> MUMG was rereleased three times with updated graphics, one version using
> SCI1, another SCI11 and the latest one SCI21 - madness!

> So, to sum up, we have the following unique cases:
> - KQ4 AGI and SCI (both EGA)
> - LSL1 AGI, SCI EGA, SCI VGA
> - PQ1 AGI, SCI EGA, SCI VGA
> - SQ1 AGI, SCI EGA, SCI VGA
> - QFG1 SCI EGA, SCI VGA (both versions being completely different)
> - MUMG SCI EGA (SCI0), SCI VGA (SCI1), SCI VGA CD (SCI11), SCI SVGA CD
> (SCI21)

> All of the SCI1 games were also released for Amiga and Mac, which further
> complicates the game descriptions.

> I'm all for making a more straightforward naming scheme, but I don't see any
> better way, given the huge amount of different versions for each game. As an
> example, I can think of 5 different versions of SQ1 off the top of my head
> (AGI EGA, SCI EGA, SCI VGA, Mac, Amiga 32 colors).

I see the complication, brr

Would it help to drop the "remake" completely and only describe the game version
like in your example?

qfg1sci "Quest for Glory: So you want to be a Hero (SCI VGA/DOS/English)"
mumgsci "Mixed Up Mother Goose (SCI VGA/CD/English)"
mumgsci "Mixed Up Mother Goose (SCI SVGA/CD/English)
mumgsci "Mixed Up Mother Goose (SCI EGA/DOSEnglish)

Just examples
???
Ciao

Hubert