[Scummvm-devel] scummvm-tools git conversion, second edition

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Sat Jan 8 20:58:24 CET 2011

Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:

> there is one more thing we should think about: What to do with SVN keywords like $Date$ and $Id$?
>
> To quote the git FAQ <https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GitFaq#Does_git_have_keyword_expansion.3F>.
[...]

Keyword expansion in git sucks big time.  At best, you get a
completely useless id (this is the only keyword that they have
implemented at all), which can not be used to make any queries against
the repository with any reasonable amount of work, and which has no
human-legible parts.  At worst, it will corrupt your files (git pre
1.7.2).

> [...] Keyword expansion causes all sorts of strange problems and
> isn't really useful anyway, especially within the context of an
> SCM. [...]

Meaning that keyword expansion _in git_ isn't really useful.  They've
made sure of that.  :-/

> It was always quite convenient to use $Date$ in the README. Other
> than that, do we really need e.g. $Id$ in the header of every source
> file? I can think of one advantage: Sometimes 3rd parties take a
> snapshot of ScummVM at some point in time, and modify it. Then if one
> later wants to integrate a copy of that modified code, it's helpful to
> know for each file on what revision in our repos it was based.

Yes, that is helpful, so of couse you can't do that with git.  The id
inserted by git will not tell you which revision the code was based
on.

  // Marcus