[Scummvm-devel] About common code

Matthew Hoops clone2727 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 15:51:46 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> when you put stuff into common (or sound, graphics, etc.) then I would strongly advice that you always include a comment that explains what the code is good for, and which engine*s* use it. Our common/ dir is growing more and more, and it thus gets harder and harder to keep track of what stuff is good for what. Esp. when there are no comments, and there are only scarce hints in the commit message history of the file.
Well, I guess this would be 'triggered' from my move of the DCL
decompressor to common then ;) Sorry about that, I should have put the
comments in and try to remember for the future.

> We started some time ago to tag some "common" code with checks of the "#ifdef ENGINE_FOOBAR_ENABLED" kind. But that, too, is problematic when doing plugin builds etc.
> So, we should think about ways to mitigate this issue. In any case, I predict that the NDS port will get yet again a lot tougher to make for 1.3.0, which is not nice. We are bloating more and more!
We also will compile if DYNAMIC_MODULES is defined in those
situations, so I don't think that we should have problems with plugin
builds.

> Thoughts, and active contributions, as always are welcome. Sadly, it's unlikely that I will be able to push any of this, and so my hopes are not high. But I feel that I should at least raise the issue for discussion and to increase awareness of it.
I'll try to document some of the API's that I contributed in the trunk
(ie. PICT, MacResManager, etc.) and which engines use the code. At
least that would be a starting point for what you described in your
e-mail.

-Matt