[Scummvm-devel] About common code

Eugene Sandulenko sev.mail at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 16:37:12 CET 2011

On 21 January 2011 12:08, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:
> For the future, we may have to re-think our whole "common" code approach, I think. Common started out with some generic code that was really used by almost all engines resp. generic code in gui. Nowadays, it (and its siblings) contains more and more code which is relevant for only a few selected engines. Now, of course it is very much desirable to share code between engines.
One of the first things which comes to mind is to add more
granularity, as it has been recently done with graphics/. For
instance, we may separate containers code (Archives, NE exe parser,
Mac Res manager, and IFF parser), stream-related code and parsers
(XML, translations, tokenizer, config manager).

Another thing to mention here, is that in my opinion it would be
better to move video/ directory at the top level. The main reasoning
is that it depends on both sound and graphics and used to lead to
linking problems.

Eugene