[Scummvm-devel] Updated http://logs.scummvm.org/

James 'Ender' Brown ender at scummvm.org
Fri Jan 28 17:02:35 CET 2011

On 01/29/2011 01:01 AM, Max Horn wrote:
> Nice!
>
> Now, if only the whole code for this was in a source repository, so that the team could work on fixing up and improving things (at least in principle ;).
The whole code consists of 67 lines for log.php, and 245 lines of code
for the IRC colouring. I didn't write the colouring code, and its quite
awful. Keep in mind the original logs site was hacked together in 15
minutes, and I used the first bit of free code I could find via Google
(in 2002 ;)

Happy enough to stick it in git somewhere, but I really want to replace
the bulk of the legacy IRC colouring code (for the reasons you mention
below..)
If you would like to make your eyes bleed, please see 'codes.php' in
http://logs.scummvm.org/src/

> Anyway: Me personally, I'll keep using<http://echelog.matzon.dk/logs/browse/scummvm>  instead of logs.scummvm.org -- I find it much more readable. Esp. the fact that server messages and kicks have a different color helps me to visually navigate the logs (and skip long passages of silence, where only people go on-/offline etc.).
The in-progress HTML template has a 'hide server messages' tickbox to
skip join/parts/quits and optional local timezone conversion using some
javascript. Dunno if that will win you over or not. Name your killer
feature and I'll throw (monopoly) money at it!
> Also, in case you are in the mood of fixing a few more things: The log HTML files are invalid HTML. Tthey start with a "." , for one thing ;-).
Oops, fixed :)

>   And they don't specify a character encoding; so on my system, e.g. CIA messages contain funny non-ascii characters). I won't complain about the missing doctype, liberal use of<font>  etc., though ;). Although *if* CSS was used sensibly (use one CSS span style for nicknames; one for server messages; one for regular messages; etc.) then it would be very easy for people to write a custom user CSS to make things render they prefer it ;).
I'm happy to take feature requests! I may even be able to implement some
of them once the colourisation code  (#1 on my todo list) is rewritten.
I'll take your suggestions into account!

  - Ender