[Scummvm-devel] Translate SCUMM v1 and v2 dialog messages?

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Tue Jul 5 22:34:01 CEST 2011

Hi all,

The SCUMM engine has some messages defined in engines/scumm/dialogs.cpp. For SCUMM v3+ games they get translated by the engine, but for v1 and v2 games they are not translated. I was wondering if it would make sense to translate them (for v1 and v2 games only) using the TranslationManager. It means they would use the language set in the GUI and not the game language though (if they are different). But since they are also displayed using a ScummVM GUI widget, I don't see that as an issue (i.e. I don't think this will confuse the user). However I don't want to make that change without first getting the thoughts of others in the team and in particular SCUMM engine authors.
The strings I am looking to make translatable are the following ones (or at least the last three):
	{1, "Insert Disk %c and Press Button to Continue."},
	{2, "Unable to Find %s, (%c%d) Press Button."},
	{3, "Error reading disk %c, (%c%d) Press Button."},
	{4, "Game Paused.  Press SPACE to Continue."},
	{5, "Are you sure you want to restart?  (Y/N)"},
	{6, "Are you sure you want to quit?  (Y/N)"},

So what do you think of this idea?

Thierry