[Scummvm-devel] Readme stable? + Readme GUI button

Simon Sawatzki SimSaw at gmx.de
Tue Jul 12 19:21:24 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I hope the main business with the new release is finished and that there is time to discuss new issues now.

I wondered if the Readme is stable as I consider translating a bigger part of it (currently we only have a short part of it translated). I got this idea because I am also refering to the Readme in my GUI translation, so it would be nice to have. However, I read at some point in the past in the forums that a major rewrite of the Readme is planned or at least wished.
Can someone comment on this? Would you recommend to translate the Readme now or is it not stable enough (will there be too many changes that will make updating very hard)?

Maybe you have followed the discussion about the BOM header for old Windows systems for the translated Readme files. Unfortunately, there was no consensus found.
However, I got an idea that might avoid the problem of the Readme being wrongly displayed. A "Display README..." button could be inserted (next to the "About" button maybe) and the README could be displayed inside ScummVM in an extra window like the credits, but with no automatic scrolling. Instead there should be a scrolling bar to the right like in the debugger.

By creating the path to this file in the source code like a string, we could even change the path in the translation file so that we can link to the translated Readme file instead of the English one.

To be consequent, we should also include the Readme file(s) that will be used inside ScummVM in the EXE for Windows then (like it is done with the rest of the GUI stuff now; of course we may still keep the text file in the programme's directory anyway). The advantage would be that nobody could change it easilly by hand in the EXE file and then give it with wrong/undesired information to others.

What do you think?

Kind regards
Simon Sawatzki