[Scummvm-devel] Readme stable? + Readme GUI button

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Wed Jul 13 16:06:33 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 13 July 2011 13:16:09 Simon Sawatzki wrote:
> 2) I think we should change the place of the setting for choosing
> the GUI language. It is not easy to find esepcially when having it changed
> to a language one does not understand by accident or curiousness. I think
> we should place a drop down box on the top of the GUI near the "Search"
> field. That way it won't be missed so easily. As I think language is a very
> important aspect, it should justify placing it there.

Since we feature auto system language detection for most systems I do not
really think we should furthermore clutter our default launcher layout.

> For my suggestion about the Readme button and storing the Readme in the EXE:
> > No, there is already too much stored inside the Windows executable file.
>
> I find this way to argue a little unfair. When I said in earlier discussions
> that putting the GUI files and translations.dat in the EXE would take too
> much space, this was not a valid argument. Strangely it is here.

A probably better argument is: Since the readme should still be readable
standalone it makes no sense to pack them into the ScummVM executable, when we
have them in the distribution anyway.

> However, my second point about the readme button that I may have missed to
> make clear still remains: It would help people to notify them that there is
> a translation if there is a Readme button and it opens the translated
> Readme for the GUI's language (if available). I don't think many people
> might look around in the doc folders at once to find the translated
> versions since they find the English readme in the base ScummVM directory.
> I find the path system Thierry and me have worked out good, though I am
> still missing ideas on how to make the translated Readmes known to people.
> A Readme button might have helped.
>
> By the way, can someone add the translated Readmes (French + German) with
> the paths they are in (doc/translations/de, doc/translations/fr) to the
> current development version in such a way that it will be included in the
> Windows and other platform's builds?

If the readme is really that hard to find in that directory, why do we place it
there anyway? Also we could consider linking the (translated) readme(s) from
the program menu in Windows for example.

// Johannes