[Scummvm-devel] Readme stable? + Readme GUI button

Simon Sawatzki SimSaw at gmx.de
Wed Jul 13 21:22:24 CEST 2011

Hi,

> Since we feature auto system language detection for most systems I do not
> really think we should furthermore clutter our default launcher layout.

It might be helpful and make sense to have it in the place I suggested. For example, in my country a ticket machine lets you first choose the language you want to use. You don't have to go to "Options", "Misc", "Languages" first. I also remember someone asking in the forums on how to change the translation back to English. This does in my opinion show how important it is to be able to choose the language from an easy place as it is one of the first things users might want to change. In fact, they may be scared away if the auto-detection fails and they do not have a well knowledge of English. If they would see an internationally known symbol for "language" (or a flag of the current language maybe) and a drop down box, they might continue exploring ScummVM.

> If the readme is really that hard to find in that directory, why do we place it
> there anyway? Also we could consider linking the (translated) readme(s) from
> the program menu in Windows for example.

Because the main directory would become very confusing if we put there every language's Readme.
Your idea sounds good: Add the English and the translated Readme to the program menu when installing depending on the chosen language by the user. This, however, will need some scripting work I guess and couldn't be implemented soon.
Thierry's idea about implementing it in the installer is also very good. Kirben might help out with that. Again, scripting work.

Thierry: I think we should wait with announcing the translation of the Readme as you are busy right now and the now translated Readme stubs are not even included in the development version. I would be happy to start planning that with you once you have more time again.

I'd be happy if someone of the developers could bring those Readme's at least into the Win32 binary. (Kirben, you maybe?)
After that happened, I'd gladly start translating a bigger part for the German Readme.

Kind regards
Simon