[Scummvm-devel] Merged branch-1-3-0 into master

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed Jun 1 16:52:10 CEST 2011

PS: Just one more thing, because it didn't come across well in my previous emails: What I really liked about the whole thing (ignoring the problems and mistakes for a moment) is that in the past, when I did similar things in SVN, i essentially had to do a giant "diff" between two branches, and then manually work through them. This was *painful* and took hours of work. Merging GSoC work, merging changes to the Nintendo DS backend, stuff like that.

This time, "git merge" did all the work for me. In half an hour was done. This is *awesome*, I must say. I really want to keep using this -- even if we decide not merge release branches into master. I mean, I can still do a merge locally, then extract all the relevant information from the merge, and apply it as a normal commit. I could also try to determine which commits certain change came from, and then try to cherry pick those -- that's more work, but even that is soooo much easier and more fun than the horrible pain I had to suffer in the past.

What I liked about the merge: I made this mistake of merging the Android jni.cpp "#if 0" change. Fuzzie told that it was meant for stable only.  I wanted to verify this (not that I was doubting fuzzie, but I was curious). Since it was a merge, "git blame" immediately told me the commit the change came from, the full commit log, and so everything was clear. I am pretty sure this wouldn't have been possible with SVN (and it wouldn't have been possible if I hadn't done this as a merge commit).