[Scummvm-devel] Towards a new release branch model

Arnaud Boutonné arnaud.boutonne at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:58:44 CEST 2011

Hi everybody,

I'd like to answer (a bit late) to Fuzzie's call for feedback.

We decided to move to git despite we know it was more complex (which also
means in this case more powerful) than SVN and not-so-well supported under
Windows (and AmigaOS). I spent 3 or 4 days to configure it (full time, it
was hell), then I had minimum 1 crash per day (with a record of 8 crashes).
As I'm, afaik, the only one suffering of so many problems, I guess the
problem was my laptop.

Now, after "some" commits, I must also admit it's not a problem to use git
under Windows. In the meantime, my laptop died, and it took only an hour or
so to have a working environment (using gitExtension) on the new one.

Speaking of frustration, I think we must ensure that no potential new dev is
stucked during days on the configuration of git, else we may lose resources.
And I also think that we have enough helpful people here to avoid that, so,
again, it shouldn't be a problem.

Concerning the new release branch model, I have no particular opinion, they
look efficient and I see no critical point that could make me instantly like
one more than the other.

Best regards,
Arnaud