[Scummvm-devel] Strange problem with ARM 2x scaler in WinCE port

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Jun 10 13:27:45 CEST 2011

Am 10.06.2011 um 10:59 schrieb Ismail Khatib:

> Hi all!
>
> Yesterday I checked a problem in the WinCE port which was reported in
> the forums,

Link? Some more details? Like, what game? Which resolutions? Is this scaling from 320x240 to 640x480, or what?

> and after I changed the scaler in my testconfig to 2x (was
> using HQ2x before) I could reproduce it. It doesn't occur when the
> aspect correction is enabled. I could track down the problem to the file
> graphics/scaler.cpp; when I change line 180 (#ifdef USE_ARM_SCALER_ASM)
> to "#if 0" for example, to disable only this Normal2xARM scaler,
> everything works perfectly, so I assume the problem really lies inside
> graphics/scaler/Normal2xARM.s (but I'm not really sure about this, it
> could also be in graphics/scaler/scalebit.cpp, but hadn't enough time
> yesterday to check where exactly the problem lies.

Of course that's all possible, but a lot of ports have used these scalers for a long time, so I'd be surprised if such a serious bug would have gone unnoticed for such a long time. But of course the ARM architecture has many variants and different implementations; and the toolchains used to compile this code likewise comes in many, many variations, each with their individual bugs... And finally, maybe the scaler is used in the WinCE port differently than in other ports?

Hence, some more details on how you reproduce the error, on the CPU used on the device(s) you used, on the involved resolutions etc. would help in analyzing the issues.