[Scummvm-devel] New engine merging procedure proposal

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon Jun 20 10:16:00 CEST 2011

Am 20.06.2011 um 09:44 schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:

> On 20 June 2011 01:59, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at scummvm.org> wrote:
>> - We should require the engine authors to have their engine on github in a
>> ScummVM fork before it even has a chance to be merged.
> Yes, this is one of the great advantages brought by github.
>
>> - When the authors want their engine to be merged into the main trunk they
>> should make both a pull request on github with a good description on the
>> engine state etc. and a mail to -devel to at *least* notify everyone about the
>> pull request.
> I would say, to have an up to date relevant Wiki page on our Wiki.
>
>> - Then we should at least wait two weeks before merging the engine/making the
>> final decision on whether to merge the engine or not. This will give everyone
>> the chance to raise their voice on the engine after reviewing the changes.
> I would say: 2 weeks or earlier when the all known active core
> developers voiced their opinion and there are no open issues.
> Otherwise it would be just a pointless delay.

There is a big difference between agreement, and keeping silent, though. Recently, I have the feeling that a lot of people don't want to voice their full opinions, for whatever reason (and I am not just talking about myself). One might be that people are afraid of being perceived as petty when they criticize the hard work somebody else is submitting for reviewal -- but with such a concern, there simply can't be a good code reviewal :(. Another might be that people don't feel that strongly. Or they are scared of the potential ensuing discussion, and worse, flaming.

That's all quite unfortunate :(

>> - Next I would like to see that every new engine needs a *public* OK from all
>> our team leaders. This should help in agreeing on a consensus.
> Yes, the team leader 'aye' was always the case since <ahem> RAW.

Hmm, to be strictly accurate: I did never say "aye" for dreamweb, I merely ceased brining up counter arguments. And I guess my wording gave the impression as if I was all roses and sunshine now (but in reality, I just wanted to stay perfectly friendly and not ruin everybody's dinner part). I think Johannes point is exactly that he wants an explicit "OK, merge this" from all leads. I think that's a good idea. If the team leads can't agree, they will have to sit down and see if they can work out a compromise.

Bye,