[Scummvm-devel] Fwd: Found cause for translation problem

Simon Sawatzki SimSaw at gmx.de
Mon Jun 20 17:22:32 CEST 2011

Hello,

> You can still use an external theme file. The problem right now is that
> the
> priority of the internal files is higher than of external files.

> The idea is not to include the external files anymore, but rely on the
> included
> ones. This should make 100% sure that a user will always have the correct
> files
> for the version he is running, even when he has two ScummVM versions
> installed
> at once (like daily + stable).

I disagree there. When having two different versions, I put them in two different folders. Also, you can't make 100% sure that users will always have the correct up-to-date files when allowing external files too: If they have several versions in one folder and they have a new version with no translations.dat and an old version relying on the external translations.dat, then ScummVM will use the outdated file anyway.
In short: I fail to see your main point.
The only reason I see for doing so is to have less files, but for me it is still a question if that is an advantage.

I don't like having everything stored in one file. Imagine your complete operating system would be stored in one executable file.

> > Somebody might not even
> > want to have translations (for example due to size, performance of
> slower
> > machine...). Before this pulling request, people could just delete the
> > translations.dat, now they are stuck in the scummvm.exe.
> >

> That's right, but if you don't use translations, the file will not be
> loaded
> anyway. And realistically speaking in case of Win32 support, I doubt
> anyone
> really uses ScummVM on a system which can not even live with a 208KB file
> size
> increase.
>
> // Johannes

Well, I want to try someday how ScummVM works on a Windows 95 486 computer and I guess having the files externally there or not at all might speed up performance.

Could there at least be an option in the configure that makes it possible to disable building everything inside the EXE and use external files instead?

Regards
Simon