[Scummvm-devel] Fwd: Found cause for translation problem

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Mon Jun 20 17:37:48 CEST 2011

> I disagree there. When having two different versions, I put them in two
> different folders. Also, you can't make 100% sure that users will always
> have the correct up-to-date files when allowing external files too: If
> they have several versions in one folder and they have a new version with
> no translations.dat and an old version relying on the external
> translations.dat, then ScummVM will use the outdated file anyway. In
> short: I fail to see your main point.
> The only reason I see for doing so is to have less files, but for me it is
> still a question if that is an advantage.

Seeing how many bug reports we had in the past because of files
missing/outdated, it sure is.

In conjunction with that the code should really look for all files of the same
name (like all translations.dat files) and only accept a working version. Kyra
should be doing something similar with kyra.dat right now.

Both together should really help in always having a correct file getting picked
and the user not having to worry about extra files, when copying ScummVM
around.

> Well, I want to try someday how ScummVM works on a Windows 95 486 computer
> and I guess having the files externally there or not at all might speed up
> performance.

So if it really fails *because* of the included files, we could consider
changing that.

> Could there at least be an option in the configure that makes it possible
> to disable building everything inside the EXE and use external files
> instead?

There could be, but personally I see no point in that.

// Johannes