[Scummvm-devel] Status of ScummVM Android port

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue Mar 1 18:54:03 CET 2011

[sending this again, as the original email seems to have vanished. changed the PS, too]

Hi folks,

I keep hearing people complaining about problems getting the Android port; and also quite some people are pointing people to an unofficial, SDL based ScummVM port, which apparently some people find superior to our official port.

See e.g. these forum posts:
<http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=65406#65406>
<http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=65285#65285>
Or here for a patch that supposedly adds improvements:
<http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=63439#63439>

This makes me feel that our "brand" suffers, as more and more people run into problems while trying to use ScummVM on Android. I'd like to avoid tarnishing our relatively good reputation...

So, this all makes me wonder what the real status of our official Android port is. Angus? Do we really have issues with the market ? Or is this just a usage problem? If I don't know, then I can't really expect our user's too ;). It seems that recently Andre started to also work on it -- excellent.

So, a news item on this, or a sticky post, or a FAQ item, would be great! For that matter, we probably should look into an overhaul of the FAQ: With port specific entries, and easier to edit for everybody (maybe hosted on the Wiki).

Bye,
Max

P.S.: Actually, I guess the android port is not quite alone here. E.g. I am still waiting for Oystein to reply to the various iPhone bug reports I pointed him to several times now; seems my emails to him always get lost, even half of those sent via -devel :(. Oystein, should you receive this for a change, here is the relevant link once again: <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=37116&atid=418820&status=1&keyword=iphone>