[Scummvm-devel] Fwd: Intel APPUP software distribution channel Invitation - ScummVM

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Fri Mar 25 13:52:51 CET 2011

Hi folks,

recently got this email:

Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:

> Von: "Leccese, FrankX" <frankx.leccese at intel.com>
> Datum: 23. März 2011 20:59:23 MEZ
> An: "max at quendi.de" <max at quendi.de>
> Betreff: Intel APPUP software distribution channel Invitation - ScummVM
>
> Hi Max,
>
> We have noticed ScummVM and would like to talk to you about a distribution opportunity with Intel corp.
>
> May I request a couple of time slot options when you are available to discuss our mutual interests.
>
> Like the iTunes store, this program enables developers to expand their distribution.
>
> The Intel AppUp Center is a trusted, hassle free and virus tested online distribution outlet for your users worldwide.
>

> Regards,
>
> Frank Leccese
> Appup Developer Program Recruiter
> 1-866-696-4883 ext. 735134
>
> Intel Appup Developer Program
> http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/

What should I do with it? My first reaction would be to reply with the following:

<PROPOSED REPLY>
Hi Frank,

of course we have no issues with Intel distributing ScummVM via AppUp, as long as such a distribution is compatible with the terms of our distribution license, the GPL v2.

If AppUp integration requires code changes (although the AppUp FAQ seems to suggest that this is not the case for open source apps), we are happy to review and potential (pending successful review) include relevant patches. Just like we review any other 3rd party patches.
However, I am not sure if anybody on our team is interested in developing / maintaining any specific AppUp integration; our resources are spread out thin already as it is.

Regarding time slots: This sounds to me as if you are suggestion to discuss this via phone? While this is in principle doable, I am not sure I understand what specifically you would like to discuss that can't be discussed via simple email. Based on past experiences, email seems to me to be the most efficient way to communicate on such things, considering time zone differences, difficulties of (non-)native speakers understanding each other in a potentially low quality phone conversation, general misunderstandings due to code and such things being explained orally (instead of simply writing it down), etc.

Maybe you can sketch what you'd like to discuss, then we can together decide if it's likely to have an outcome that justifies shuffling your and my calendar around sufficiently to make a phone conversation possible :).

Best regards,
Max
ScummVM co-lead
</PROPOSED REPLY>

Anyway, maybe somebody here has strong interest in working on AppUp integration, or would love to phone with these guys. Speak up if you do, else I'll email this reply later today.

Bye,