[Scummvm-devel] Translations of the About text in ScummVM

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Tue May 3 23:56:06 CEST 2011

On 2 May 2011 11:11, Max Horn <max at quendi.de> wrote:

> >> Personally I get the feeling the best would be to add translations for
> selected credits titles and all non-empty descriptions and paragraphs, and
> add translation of the GPL notice in addition to the english notice.
> >>

> > Personally I rather for leaving the credits untranslated. Otherwise we
> > might end up with missing/inconsistent (depending whether the English
> > string would be used then or not) contribution descriptions in case
> > they are updated.
>
> I can't quite follow the logic here: Don't we risk missing/inconsistent
> translations *everywhere* anyway? I mean, what is so special about the
> credits that it is more likely resp. more problematic if they are only
> partially translated? Maybe I am just missing something here?

I am on the same line here. I quite can't see why it would be more
problematic for the credits than the rest of the software. We have to
remember to update the scummvm.pot template file from time to time after the
credits are changed, and merge the changes in the translation files, but
this could be done automatically by 'make credits' for example. And
currently the template file is not updated either when changing the source
code...

> [...]
>
> Just my two cents. ANd I also think that if we mean this whole localization
> business seriously, we should contemplate offering a minimal translated
> README file for our users -- maybe no need to translate *all*, but at least
> a minimal blurb for newbies in their mother tongue. Maybe a README.de,
> README.fr etc. ?

I discussed that with some translators when preparing the previous release
(1.2.0). I even made a template for translating part of the README to other
languages with the help of Simon. If I remember correctly, the idea was to
translate the first part (About ScummVM and Quick Start) and to add a small
blurb mentioning the full README and ways to contact the team. I think we
had a first draft of French and German translations too. I cannnot check
right now because I am abroad this week for my work. I will try to restart
this work and commit the files (in doc/translations/ maybe?) when I am back.
This might be a bit late to bundle the files with the version 1.3.0, but at
least we can add links from the web site and it will be there for future
versions.

The problem we had was updating the template when the README itself is
changed. However the first part of the README does not change much, so this
should not be a big issue to do it manually.

Thierry