[Scummvm-devel] Conditionally compiling components (Was: Clarifying & cleaning configure's cross-compiling craziness)

A. Milburn fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net
Wed May 4 17:25:40 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 05:18:29PM +0200, Max Horn wrote:
> The indeo3 code is only enabled if gob is compiled in, or dynamic plugins are enabled.
>
> It seems odd that we do this for indeo3, but not for e.g graphics/png.*, graphics/jpeg.*, graphics/dcl.* etc. Let's either drop the indeo3 check, or add check for more "optional" features.

I asked about this on IRC a few days ago. It seems that the check is there due to
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=2836424&group_id=37116&atid=418822
which notes that there are 72kb of tables in the decoder, adding considerably to code
size if compiled in. Is this a problem for other code?

(I was also wondering why in some places we check for engines or dynamic plugins, but
in other places (the mod decoders) we only check for engines. The conclusion seemed
to be that the dynamic plugins check was unnecessary because the symbols wouldn't
work with our plugin loaders if they weren't used by a configured engine, comments?)

> Alas, it *is* annoying that e.g. the whole jpeg decoder is currently *always compiled in, even when unused -- for the Nintendo DS port, this accumulates to quite a big problem, I think.

I thought it was concluded that the Nintendo DS builds dropped any unused symbols?

- fuzzie