[Scummvm-devel] CMake build system for ScummVM

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at scummvm.org
Thu May 5 20:59:45 CEST 2011

Seems so far nobody replied to this, so I'll do it now.

On 04/29/2011 01:24 PM, Miguel Bernabeu wrote:
> I've been using ScummVM for a while and wanted to contribute to the
> project. I found a mention to CMake support in your TODO list in the
> wiki and decided to try to tackle it as I've been using basic CMake
> for a while now. I posted on the forums and Julien addressed me here.

I think that TODO item is pretty outdated, our configure/make based
build system is working well for us and is flexible enough too. I am not
sure how good CMake is for cross compiling to the more strange platforms
out there. Apart we have create_project nowadays, which can create MSVC
project files out of our configure/make based build system and
furthermore features a more sane project layout than CMake did last time
I used it.

Personally I see no big use for a CMake based build system now,
especially when it would be an additional system to use, since that
would require us to maintain two systems (again). Maybe others have a
different opinion here though.

> In the TODO list it says you want to test if it's worth it so my idea
> is to provide you a very minimal CMake build for some games (Fly of
> the Amazon Queen and Beneath a Steel Sky which can be freely
> downloaded to test) and Linux only and let you see if you want to
> expand it further or drop it. My work is on github
> https://github.com/miguelbernadi/scummvm/tree/CMake
>
> Things I need to know:
> - Need to know all dependencies, I have several listed but I would
> need a complete list (I couldn't find one)

The configure script should contain a list of all supported external
libraries.

> - Which dependencies are a MUST have and which are optional. <-- Right
> now I think is SDL only

That pretty much depends on the system you compile for, but for Unix and
Windows SDL should be the only real requirement yes.

> - How many and which config options are desirable. <-- For users
> building and for developers in Advanced Properties

If we want a CMake system probably the same as our configure script offers.

> - The header templates (which macros to be set: names and values or
> where to find them).

I am not sure what you mean by header templates, but maybe this is what
you are looking for: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Defines ?

// Johannes