[Scummvm-devel] Translations of the About text in ScummVM

Simon Sawatzki SimSaw at gmx.de
Sun May 8 16:05:20 CEST 2011

> 1) Put only ASCII into credits.h; that is, in credits.pl, replace the
> html_entities_to_cpp function by html_entities_to_ascii. Then, leave it to
> translators to re-add accents, umlauts etc. as appropriate (and as possible in
> their encoding).
>   So we would have msgid "Touche" is the binary, and each translation map
> this to either "Touché" or "Touche".
>
> 2) Keep using latin1 encoding for the msgids (as it is in my branch right
> now).
>    So we would have "msgid "Touché" in the binary.
>
> 3) Use HTML encoding for the msgids. So we would have "Touché" in
> the binary.
>    Couple this with a lookup table that converts this into latin1  (or
> even the active encoding)
>
> 4) Use a "dual-string" approach as described above:
>    Put msgid "Touche" into the binary, but also in parallel "Touché", for
> use as fallback.

I also think approach 3 is the best for now.
Why would the translators have to deal with the HTML entities? Couldn't this be all done automatically? After all, the font encoding is specified in the translation .po file, so I think it should be possible to write a converter that will cover this.

Regards
Simon