[Scummvm-devel] Translations of the About text in ScummVM

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Sun May 8 21:32:18 CEST 2011

Am 08.05.2011 um 20:33 schrieb Marcus Comstedt:

> Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:
>
> [...]
>> Approach 3 tries to avoid the issues in solution 1 and 2. The idea
>> is this: If translations are enabled and working, just lookup the
>> msgid as normal. Otherwise, we can just map the HTML entities to
>> latin1 data on the fly (using the same method we employ in
>> credits.pl). [...]
>
> If the Ukranian locale is active, don't you have to map it to
> iso-8859-5 instead of latin1?

No, because this mapping is only used as a fallback, when no translation is available. The idea is that then only the built-in font is available, which in turn is latin1 based, too.

Of course we could also support other mappings, but I don't think we need to... or am I missing something?

> (As a side note, iso-8859-5 is _not_ the same as latin5.  latin5 is
> iso-8859-9.  The reason the numbers mismatch is that there are
> iso-8859 variants (such as -5) which are not, as it were, latin.)

Right, thanks for clarifying that :). I really meant iso-8859-5, which I think is for cyrillic, which indeed is not latin.