[Scummvm-devel] Translations of the About text in ScummVM

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Wed May 11 22:49:01 CEST 2011

Le 6 mai 2011 à 15:03, Max Horn a écrit :

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Just my two cents. ANd I also think that if we mean this whole localization
>>> business seriously, we should contemplate offering a minimal translated
>>> README file for our users -- maybe no need to translate *all*, but at least
>>> a minimal blurb for newbies in their mother tongue. Maybe a README.de,
>>> README.fr etc. ?
>>>

>> I discussed that with some translators when preparing the previous release
>> (1.2.0). I even made a template for translating part of the README to other
>> languages with the help of Simon. If I remember correctly, the idea was to
>> translate the first part (About ScummVM and Quick Start) and to add a small
>> blurb mentioning the full README and ways to contact the team.
>
> This sounds like a great thing to have, actually.

I found the files. Before committing there is one issue I would like to solve: the encoding of the translated README files. I have the French and German ones in UTF8 but they are not opened correctly in most software I tried (only vi recognizes the encoding correctly). So any idea how I should commit this? Text in UTF8? RTF? PDF? HTML? Something else?

> Another thing that is currently not being translated is the output of "--help", by the way, which also would be nice to have translated.

Can we use any encoding for stdout (or wherever the help is printed to), such as the ones currently used for the translations of the GUI?

Thierry