[Scummvm-devel] Translations of the About text in ScummVM

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Wed May 11 23:11:24 CEST 2011

Le 9 mai 2011 à 11:22, Max Horn a écrit :

>>> No, because this mapping is only used as a fallback, when no translation is available. The idea is that then only the built-in font is available, which in turn is latin1 based, too.
>>
>> Hm, maybe I'm missing something about how the translation system in
>> ScummVM works, but to me it's not obvious how it follows that only
>> latin1 fonts are available from the fact that the Ukrainian
>> translation does not provide a translation for the msgid
>> "Touché", thus making a fallback necessary...
>
> Right, I was implicitly assuming that all localizations would provide translations for all strings with HTML entities. But of course you are right, this might not be the case for some of them.

Actually I think most of these will not be translated since they occur in engine names or people names and I don't think we are going to translate those. Actually I would even prefer if we could filter in credits.pl the string we make translatable and exclude engine names and people names for example, because having many strings in the po file that we do not translate make it difficult to follow the status of the translations.
So the main issue for me is not translation but how to display correctly those special characters when using a font that doesn't have them (e.g. Ukrainian). I guess we could use a different marker (i.e. not _(string) but something similar) that will call a function to map html entities (or whatever way we want to code them) to either ASCII or latin1 without trying to translate them.

Thierry