[Scummvm-devel] Translations of the About text in ScummVM

Thierry Crozat criezy at scummvm.org
Thu May 12 21:52:15 CEST 2011

Le 6 mai 2011 à 15:03, Max Horn a écrit :

> So, if nobody objects, I'd suggest working on that.
>
> Doing this shouldn't be too hard, assuming we just want to translate the about dialog (if we also want translated versions of AUTHORS and the website, then we should use a different approach; but unless somebody wants to work on that right now, I suggest trying the simple approach first).
>
> So, if we just translate the in-app about dialog, we can tweak credits.pl slightly to emit some stuff differently. Specifically, begin_section and add_paragraph should output "translatable" strings (sure, some of them don't need to be translated, like "BeOS", but translators can just leave these alone).
>
> Here is a quick & dirty implementation:
>
> <https://github.com/fingolfin/scummvm/compare/scummvm:master...translate-about>
>
> One thing that needs to be resolved in there is the use of non-ASCII chars in msgids (e.g. for "Touché"). It would be no problem to generate an ASCII-only msgid, but we really want the non-ASCII version in the source, too. As far as I could tell, we have no macro in common/translation.h that can be used to specify a distinct msgid and msgstr. Or is there?
>
> Otherwise, this seems to work well.

Looking at that code made me thing that there is a big static table in there (about 10kb I would guess) and it is only going to get bigger. Maybe this should be changed to be loaded at run time when we display the about dialog and be dropped as soon as we can to free some much needed memory for the small devices (or is it small enough to be negligeable). I mention this because if you modify the way credits.pl generate the credits.h file you might have well think about this (and also this might impact the generation of the translations template file).

Thierry