[Scummvm-devel] git force-push

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Tue May 17 14:14:57 CEST 2011

Am 17.05.2011 um 13:58 schrieb Willem Jan Palenstijn:

> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 01:48:24PM +0200, Max Horn wrote:
>>
>> Am 17.05.2011 um 00:19 schrieb Willem Jan Palenstijn:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Hopefully nobody noticed, but in case anybody is affected, Johannes did a
>>> force-push of master to d47eceeb2fdd122efb143d00097c0cf159552bb2 a little
>>> while ago to correct a merge gone wrong at
>>> 15ea9b15cbb1210b14490819c5bc04f72ed7e6c8.
>>
>> Anyhow, is somebody working on getting the real commits behind that failed
>> push into the tree now?
>
> I made a quick attempt last night at https://github.com/wjp/scummvm/commits/fix/
> , but would like to hear from Florian.
>
> That branch includes a suggestion by Johannes to squash together the 'detune'
> commits since those first increased and then decreased the savegame version
> number.
>
> At a quick glance it looks like it could benefit from some more squashing, but
> that's more of a subjective matter.

Well, if one follows the pure git / DVCS ideology, then more squashing and rebasing is evil, and we should preserve the true development history as closely as possible... :) Actually, this stance does have some merits. If one rebases and squashes a lot, then there is always a risk of producing a history with many intermediate revisions that are broken in various ways (e.g. they don't compile).

So, for this particular large series of commits, it might actually be best if the original commits were merged, instead of doing lots of rebasing and squashing. Alas, I am not sure if that history is still available...

Bye,