[Scummvm-devel] ATTN PORTERS: configure updates

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Wed May 25 15:00:36 CEST 2011

Hello porters! Hello everybody!

As you may have already noticed, I just merged by configure cleanup branch into master. This is a first step towards getting our configure script into a sane state. I really tried hard *not* to mess up ports, but probability theory indicates that it is quite likely that I failed ;). So everybody should watch out for (hopefully small) build system regressions in the near future. Things like libs suddenly being not detected anymore, or vital compiler flags missing for some cross compilations.

The Android configure code was in particular funky (the part that filter -lz and -lm from LIBS and resorts stuff, line 3143 following). I hoped I adapted it right, but it certainly would be good if Gus or Andre would double check.

From my perspective, this is only a start. More work should be done. In particular, we still set port / backend specific things in three major blocks (one based on _host, one based on _host_os, one based on _backend), with no obvious order as to how and why each port does what. And there is actually yet another place ports might setup stuff for their port, namely in a port specific .mk file like "backends/platform/wii/wii.mk".

For now, I don't know how exactly this should change, and what parts exactly. Everybody is welcome to think about this and suggest or implement improvements.

Bye,