[Scummvm-devel] Towards a new release branch model

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon May 30 14:38:20 CEST 2011

Hi there,

now that 1.3.0 is out, we should think about how we will handle future releases (maybe except for 1.3.1, if there is any).

The very first thing I would like to see changed: Let's not name any branches like "branch-1-4-0" anymore. An appropriate name would be "branch-1-4-x" or "branch-1-4" or "branch-1.4" or "branch_1_4" or *whatever*, just nothing that says "1.4.0" but doesn't mean it :).

However, I really think the whole branching model should change. Here is a rough sketch of how things might work in the future.

Basically, I agree with what some people suggested in the past: Let's try to follow the model described on

    <http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/>

for "Release branches" and "Hotfix branches". Whether we follow the rest of what they describe there or not is irrelevant for my purposes here. Just one minor tweak: they use "master" for the stable version, and have a "develop" branch next to it. I suggest that we use a "stable" branch, and do development work on "master" as we do right now. This is purely for convenience.

Bye,