[Scummvm-devel] Towards a new release branch model

Max Horn max at quendi.de
Mon May 30 23:39:10 CEST 2011

Am 30.05.2011 um 22:46 schrieb Eugene Sandulenko:

> Hi Max et al,
>
> First, I think this is really has to be addressed and I wish we had this discussion before the release.
>
> First, I completely agree that we must not use 1-x-0 branches, my personal preference is branch-1-4 out of which we produce 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 if needed.
>
> Second, albeit git model is the proper way of developing under DVCS, still in my opinion is too much. After all there ate 50+ devx to learn it. So I would recommend to go with nuvie model and perhaps in some distant future try to use git one, especially if we encourage use of personal forks and pull requests.
>
> So, it would be nice if we had this workflow documented as a command sequence and have if put on our wiki.

I think saying "gitworkflow = complicated" and "nvie model = simple" is an oversimplification in itself. Both, if implemented in their full detail, would require substantial changes to your current work model. In fact, I feel that in some way the nvie model is more complicated.

We need to workout our own, and these two can serve as initial inspiration, but neither is suitable for immediate adaption, at least if we apply the "50+ devs need to be able to do it" rule.

Bye,