[Scummvm-devel] Towards a new release branch model

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Tue May 31 12:09:36 CEST 2011

Max Horn <max at quendi.de> writes:

> Well, they do have releases every couple weeks or so. It's hard to imagine that they never find a bug in 1.x.y.z that ought to be fixed in 1.x.y.(z+1), right away, but for which a "proper" fix requires a  substantial change that is not desirable for that. But maybe that just never happens to them due to incredible luck / planning. Or do they simply refuse to fix urgent data loss bugs as long as no "proper" solution can be implemented, even if a hotfix is known?

The tendency seems to be to refuse bugfixes unless they restructure
the whole code according to Junio's visions of how the bug _should_ be
fixed, yes.  The case I was involved with was a bug in ident handling
which caused data loss.  Of course, Junio doesn't use ident, so it
wasn't urgent to _him_...

  // Marcus