[Scummvm-devel] Re : Dreamweb for 1.5.0?

Bertrand Augereau bertrand_augereau at yahoo.fr
Sun Nov 13 22:14:39 CET 2011

Sorry to have triggered all this :/
But I think we could reach a consensus with a mixed approach.

There were some bugs in the original asm source (mostly buffer overruns), all of which spotted were fixed so the code now is much cleaner and the game is completable so I think there has been at least *some* benefit with porting some pseudo-code to proper C++. Performance is much better too. And you can quit the game when in inventory or dialog which wasn't possible. The common saving code is plugged also. So it is getting better.

It will be a long time before every offset in the code becomes a struct member, and the less often the ported code is invoked, the more difficult regression-testing will be, making it riskier and riskier. Should we wait for total purity before shipping?
It could be beneficial for the users to play dreamweb now because *external quality* of the engine is good. The end-user should be satisfied with what they got.
Internal quality is debatable, of course, and I see the debate is quite heated :)
It seems logical that we can't ship a modified dosbox linked to scummvm and a huge byte array with a dos executable. A custom VM with static recompiled code is much better. Porting to proper C++ is even better. Where is the slider to be acceptable is open to discussion, no need to go to war about this.  And taking it personally won't make it any better.

So it is more a question of policy, and I understand that it is feared that as soon as the engine is released, it will stay this way, but stay assured I'll stay commited in the near future to porting the engine to C++. It's just I don't have lots of time with the beta of the game I work on professionally.

Anyway there's no urgency in releasing the engine either. As fuzzie said, there are lots of engines in the pipeline :)

Cheers everyone,

Bertrand