[Scummvm-devel] engine names

Filippos Karapetis bluegr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 17:35:22 CET 2011

The picture engine name is referred in the game's credits. In the end of
the day, it doesn't really matter either to us or the end users (as they
can see what's supported from the ScummVM credits anyway), we just need to
settle on a name. I am neutral to this, I don't mind either picture or
toltecs - same goes for cge.

Regards
Filippos

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 5:45 PM, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 11/18/2011 01:18 PM, Willem Jan Palenstijn wrote:
> > With a couple of new single-game engines approaching completeness, I'd
> like to
> > poll what you think about their engine names. Specifically, is there any
> good
> > reason why CGE isn't called Soltys, and why Picture isn't called Toltecs?
> >
> > The consistency argument really doesn't hold IMO, since all our existing
> > single-game engines have a name strongly based on the game name (Cruise,
> Draci,
> > Drascula, Dreamweb, Lastexpress, Lure, Queen, Sky, Sword1, Sword2,
> Sword25,
> > Teenagent, Toon, Touche, Tucker). Only the multi-game engines have more
> > general names.
> >
> > In short, I'd propose renaming Picture to Toltecs (pre-merge), and if
> it's not
> > considered too much of a hassle, CGE (back) to Soltys (before announcing
> support).
> >

> I am fine with changing the name of CGE and Picture to more descriptive
> names for the user.
>
> // Johannes

"Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes" - Oscar Wilde