[Scummvm-devel] engine names

D G Turner d.g.turner at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 19 19:17:35 CET 2011

Willem,
  I actually object. The "real" internal name of this engine was
  picture and other engines may have similarly confusing names in the
  future since they may have names which are also single english words
  with multiple meaning.

  I mentioned what I think the real fix is here in IRC, but it hasn't
  been mentioned here.

  This started from "--enable-picture" option to configure being felt
  to be confusing.

  As a good general solution, rather than having to fix this again and
  again for each odd named engine, we should change the configure
  option to something like --enable-<engine name>-engine
  i.e. --enable-picture-engine --disable-scumm-engine etc.
  rather than the current --enable-picture --disable-scumm etc.

  What do the other developers think?

  P.S. The engine-game mapping wrt. users is IMHO a separate issue and
  is confusing this.
--
Thanks,
David Turner