[Scummvm-devel] state of the ScummVM Android port, again

Eugene Sandulenko sev at scummvm.org
Sun Oct 23 23:27:42 CEST 2011

On 23 October 2011 22:05, A. Milburn <fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> Since the last discussion there seems to have been no movement on the
> Android port. Should we just go ahead and push a new version to the
> market under our own namespace/key? (I don't know if anyone has made an
> Android Market account as discussed, but I assume the project budget can
> stretch to the $25 fee, and anything else seems like it would lead to
> annoying problems in the future.)
Indeed.

> Otherwise I could simply push "ScummVM: Broken Edition" or similar for now,
> using e.g. my partner's account. I don't know if anyone would object? But
> it would provide *some* trivial method for users to install ScummVM, which
> I think a lot of people would appreciate.
I would object. So let's do this. There is android@ address, which I
can easily setup to forward to you. You register account on that
e-mail, I refund you with PayPal, and have it finally running.

> * The input handling is a mess. The simplest solution to me seems to be to
> just add per-game input configuration, but the scummvm GUI currently seems
> to have no way to add backend-specific options. Could we e.g. add a
> 'input options' button somewhere which gets hidden if a backend doesn't
> support it, so I can hook a dialog of some kind up to it?
It is work of keymapper, and it has been recently improved, so
probably it is already working, if not, it's better to just fix/finish
implementation of that instead of rolling out yet another custom key
mapper.

> * How about uploading sky/queen/etc to the Market too? It seems like they'd
> be quickly popular. We could even bundle them together with the relevant
> plugin.
Sounds good.

> * Do we want to get rid of plugins entirely and just live with a monolithic
> package, as I think Gus suggested at some point? It would be rather less
> painful, and I would be tempted to do so if I started uploading unofficial
> builds.
I think so too.

Eugene