[Scummvm-devel] state of the ScummVM Android port, again

Angus Lees alees at google.com
Mon Oct 24 00:22:14 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 08:05, A. Milburn <fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net>wrote:

> * Do we want to get rid of plugins entirely and just live with a monolithic
> package, as I think Gus suggested at some point? It would be rather less
> painful, and I would be tempted to do so if I started uploading unofficial
> builds.

We only need broken out plugins for ancient devices (G1 era), which had such
a tiny amount of internal flash that they couldn't fit all of ScummVM in
there at once.

The market now (finally!) supports multiple apks for a single app.  So we
*could* (with work on our side) upload both a plugin and a monolithic
version with some non-overlapping constraints that matched those devices
(<Android 2.0 and >=2.0 should do the trick). It means more work for us come
release time.  Alternatively we could just abandon G1 users...

Fwiw, this same mechanism can also be used to switch to other radically
different APIs that aren't backwards compatible.  We could have a new
version of the port that didn't include any Java, using the new NativeApp
stuff for example.  Again, we'd be basically supporting another port, so may
not be worth it.

 - Gus