[Scummvm-devel] state of the ScummVM Android port, again

A. Milburn fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 24 11:43:38 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 09:30:59AM +0000, Lars Persson wrote:
> Is not the biggest thing for space, that you should be able to install the
> plugins (or the whole app) to SD card

The problem is that you can't run native code from the SD card (it's noexec),
and native code can only be run from the containers on Android 2.3+ (and most
Market users are using an older version).

So users need at least 15mb free space in the cache on the *internal storage*
when ScummVM is running. And internal storage can be pretty limited - to take
random examples, it seems that the 2011 Galaxy Ace only has 158mb available
for all apps, and the Wildfire S has 160mb or so (although both of those
have Android 2.3 available I think, I'm just giving an example of how space
might be a problem even on modern phones).

So it seems like it could be a problem, but I don't know. I just see an awful
lot of posts by people who only have a few mb of storage left. :-)

> For loading the  big 15 mb exe would not a big issue, (since all even older
> Android devices at least have a 100mb free RAM anyway).

I assume it's mapped from the storage anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

- fuzzie