[Scummvm-devel] TsAGE engine and Geekwad

Johannes Schickel lordhoto at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 02:51:12 CET 2011

On 10/31/2011 02:23 AM, Paul Gilbert wrote:
> As part of the further investigation and implementation of TsAGE
> games, I spent a bit of time looking at the game Geekwad. I did a
> commit of a game skeleton, but it's been pointed out that since this
> isn't an adventure game, it should really have been discussed on the
> mailing list first.

Yes that's right. This should have never been added to the ScummVM
master line without any prior discussion. Anyway it's good that you
still pointed it out on -devel now. Thanks for that.

> The game itself isn't very big, consisting of 13 game scenes, which
> represent the scenes for the minigames as well as the introduction,
> title screen, etc.. I haven't looked much into the mini-games yet, but
> from what I can tell so far they also use standard TsAGE visual
> objects and actions to implement the gameplay logic.
>
> Based on the prior precedents, I'm hoping that there won't be an issue
> with allowing for support of the game as well in trunk. The only
> disadvantage, as far I can see, is that as with the other TsAGE games,
> Geekwad also uses hardcoded logic, so there will be some size bloat.
> Luckily, given the simplicity of the individual mini-games, I don't
> anticipate it would be very much.
>
> Opinions? If it's considered a problem, I could always undo the commit
> and maintain it in a separate branch. It just seems more effective
> IMHO, to keep support for all the TsAGE games together.

Personally I would say since it's all hardcoded logic, we shouldn't
really have that in the tree. Then again maybe it's really not that much
overhead. But frankly speaking I wouldn't like that to be experimented
in the ScummVM master line. I would suggest you develop the whole game
in your personal fork, if you want to work on it, and when it's done we
might compare the changes and discuss it again.

But being totally honest, I think it's kinda odd if we would allow this
game and then again deny EoB 1+2 support, which might maybe be a similar
amount of overhead. So right now I am rather in favor of Geekwad being
not included in ScummVM.

// Johannes