[Scummvm-devel] TsAGE engine and Geekwad

A. Milburn fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Oct 31 13:06:01 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:36:47AM +0000, Eugene Sandulenko wrote:
> What I would like to encourage is to work on support for external
> plugins for ScummVM. Thus projects like scummvm-misc, or scummvm-rpg
> could be easily integrated at run-time. I even would vote for

Two thoughts about external plugins in particular:

* Many of the games people are interested in are implemented as a
  subengine of tsage/mohawk/kyra/whatever, so anyone implementing a *plugin*
  for such a game would realistically have to keep a second copy of all the
  engine code around, I guess - one copy in the main ScummVM tree and another
  second copy in their external tree?

* The external plugin model doesn't seem particularly viable to me. The
  attraction of scummvm is how portable it is, but porters already find it
  difficult to find enough time to build the core tree, buildbot is quite
  overloaded enough so I assume we can't really lend support there, and
  trying to build plugins independently of the porters is presumably a
  nightmare of ABI issues etc.

- fuzzie