[Scummvm-devel] SurfaceSDL-Backends and Scaler Plugins

Fabio Battaglia hkzlabnet at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 21:30:05 CEST 2012

Hi again Eric.
> [snip]
> The affected backends are:
> DINGUX, GPH, LinuxMoto, OpenPandora, Symbian, and WinCE
I had the time just for a super quick look, but from a superficial
analysis it seems that disabling the scalers also disables the aspect
ratio correction (at least for surfacesdl). Of course, aspect ratio
correction could be seen as a form of scaling, so this makes sense...
But also causes problems for low res devices with a 320x240 screen:
For example I'm glad I can disable scaling code for the Dingoo, as I
can't really use 2x, HQ etc., but aspect ratio correction is useful to
fill the whole screen when a 320x200 game is run.

On the master branch the scalers for the Dingux backend are enabled, but
it's something I'd really like to avoid with your new patch, to save
more precious memory (and clean my backend graphic code too). Any chance
a middle level between no scalers (with only 1x and no AR correction)
and USE_SCALERS (with 2x, 3x etc and AR correction) can be created?

Bye,
Fabio