[Scummvm-devel] working on a new engine (AESOP)

Eugene Sandulenko sev.mail at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 15:56:40 CET 2012

On 21 December 2012 15:33, Johannes Schickel <lordhoto at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/21/2012 02:30 PM, James Lacey wrote:
> > As a newcomer, I don't want to reopen an old debate. Is the official
> > position of the project as a whole? If so, I can respect that. At this
> > point in development, it would not be hard for me to just make my code
> > into a standalone project.
> >

> That is the official position of the ScummVM as of now.

Yes, and there are no plans to change that, however several team members
would definitely love to see more RPGs supported.

> I chose to do an engine for ScummVM because you guys have a lot of
> > infrastructure that it seemed to be a shame not to use. Much of what
> > you guys have written would be helpful for preserving other types of
> > games. Has there be any discussion or interest in creating a sister
> > project for other genres like RPGs?

Yes, creating a sister project which would concentrate on RPGs is the way
to go.

This could ignite a long discussed development of ScummVM's OSystem as a
standalone reusable library or at least building engines off-tree.

And even if you won't go route of the full blown RPG project I still
recommend to stay as is, that is, base your work on forked ScummVM.
Residual was doing it for a while to mutual benefit, since there were
occasional backports to the general code. I am personally very proud of
solidness of our main code and would recommend it to be reused to anyone
who considers developing _any_ games with goal to have them multiplatform
(or any games in general, since multiplatform is the main trend these days
anyway).

Eugene