[Scummvm-devel] Pseudo-3D adventure games / 360 degree panoramic adventure games

Willem Jan Palenstijn wjp at usecode.org
Fri Dec 28 16:31:23 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 05:08:20PM +0200, Filippos Karapetis wrote:
> The needed functionality will need to include the following:
> - Math code used to rotate a shape around a fixed point (parts of the
> ResidualVM math classes could be used for this)
> - Software rendering code (probably small chunks of tinygl) and expose
> parts of OpenGL in our OpenGL backend to draw vertices on screen and add
> textures to them
>
> The aforementioned functionality (drawing vertices, adding textures to
> them) already exists in the OpenGL backend. We would need to expose it to
> OSystem.

Exposing 3D functionality like this via OSystem sounds like it would be a step
towards 3D too far. I think we should keep our backend/engine interface
strictly 2D.

Of course I can't speak for the ResidualVM project, but wouldn't the style of
game you describe be a better fit there? (Especially since you mention there's
already a Myst 3 engine in ResidualVM.)

-Willem Jan