[Scummvm-devel] Pseudo-3D adventure games / 360 degree panoramic adventure games

A. Milburn fuzzie at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 29 12:03:35 CET 2012

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 11:50:52AM +0100, Arnaud Boutonné wrote:
> After discussions with wjp and fuzzie, it seems adding one of those engine
> requires a 3D renderer and/or openGL, which is completely different for me.
> I'm pretty sure ring engine didn't use that, but anyway, if hardware
> acceleration or 3D rendering are involved, all my apologizes for the
> previous grumpy mail.

Right; from a technical point of view I think that, if an engine author
wants to use OpenGL for rendering in their engine, then it seems they'd
be a lot better just asking for a merge into ResidualVM in any case,
and the example of Myst 3 seems to show that they're very happy to
accept such engines.

I didn't understand *at all* that the original mail was also talking
about the Ring engine. I think everyone saw 'Myst 3' and 'ResidualVM'
and 'OpenGL' and any other point was completely missed.

(Note also that the 3D game Ring 2 is a *different engine*, despite
being in the list linked from the original mail!)

- Alyssa