[Scummvm-devel] Pseudo-3D adventure games / 360 degree panoramic adventure games

Marcus Comstedt marcus at mc.pp.se
Sat Dec 29 16:22:37 CET 2012

Willem Jan Palenstijn <wjp at usecode.org> writes:

> Exposing 3D functionality like this via OSystem sounds like it would be a step
> towards 3D too far. I think we should keep our backend/engine interface
> strictly 2D.

I haven't looked at the Myst 3 code that was talked about, but I
imagine that to use OpenGL for accelerating this kind of game, you
would actualy have one single flat quad covering the entire screen,
and then use a (single) custom fragment shader to do the actual image
transformation.  So it wouldn't actually be 3D functionality you'd
need to expose, but shader functionality.  Still, it's a bit unclear
exactly how this interface should look to be generic enough and still
not expand outside the intended scope.  Maybe someone could whip up an
API suggestion to serve as a base for discussion?

In fact, maybe the API should simply provide cylindrical and spherical
projections of bitmaps as hardcoded functions?  Do all the games use
similar enough projections that you can just parametrize it?  (I
assume that all games based on QuickTime VR do.)

   // Marcus