[Scummvm-devel] Windows experience

Willem Jan Palenstijn wjp at usecode.org
Mon Jan 23 11:26:10 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 07:29:36PM +1100, Travis Howell wrote:
> On 23/12/2011 10:35 AM, Willem Jan Palenstijn wrote:
> > And if there's a standard location for Windows Vista and Windows 7,
> > why aren't we using it? Are we really letting ancient versions dictate
> > our behaviour on modern Windows versions?
>
> More a case of few or no developers using actually Windows Vista or 7 I
> expect. Windows XP is still widely used, although older Windows versions
> are much less common.
>
> Adding a default saved path for Windows should at least cover Windows
> NT4 onwards, where write access can be limited (depending on settings)
> and to provide a consistent location across those Windows versions.
>
> Storing saved games in similar location (Application
> Data\user\ScummVM\Saved games\) to config file and log files
> (Application Data\user\ScummVM\), would provide a provide a more
> consistent location. And is very similar to the standard location
> (Application Data\user\Saved games\ScummVM\ ) provided by Windows Vista/7.
>
> On 27/12/2011 11:40 AM, Johannes Schickel wrote:
> > I'm not a Windows port user myself, but I think "%documents%\ScummVM"
> > seems like a good place for the config file, the log file and the
> > default savegame location for modern Windows (i.e. Vista/7) systems at
> > least. Of course one might want to have some directory structure in
> > there, like a special subfolder for saves, so it's not so easy to miss
> > the config file in a lot of saves or the like ;-).
>
> A central location for all ScummVM related files, with a sub directory
> for saved games, is a good idea. But at the Application Data location,
> where the config file and log file are already stored under Windows.
> Moving the config file again would be a bad idea, since it would mean
> the config file could be in three locations (My Documents, Application
> Data or the Windows directory), due to backwards compatibility.
>
> I will change the default saved game path for Windows NT4 onwards to
> %USERPROFILE%\ScummVM\Saved Games, unless there are further objections.
> This will use the following paths for saved games by default:
> Windows Vista/7: \Users\username\AppData\Roaming\ScummVM\Saved games\
> Windows 2000/XP: \Documents and Settings\username\Application
> Data\ScummVM\Saved games\
> Windows NT4: <windir>\Profiles\username\Application Data\ScummVM\Saved
> games\
>
> Also adding a 'Saved Games (default)' to the ScummVM section of the
> Start menu, to provide easy access to that location.

Any news on this? There are now reports on the bug tracker and forum
( http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=11211 and https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=418820&aid=3458932&group_id=37116 )
that seem to point to a problem with storing files with a .DRV extension in the
virtual store (for SCI's Larry 3 and 5). If that is true, that makes this save
path change very important.

-Willem Jan